The Accountant’s primary responsibility is to perform general accounting functions for an assigned portfolio of multi-family properties. This position is also responsible for reconciliation of bank accounts, analysis of accounts, preparing and posting journal entries, performing month-end close as well as financial statement preparation.
• Assists in ensuring month-end closes, preparation and entry of monthly journal entries, bank reconciliation, calculation of owner’s distributions and maintenance of cash sheets are being completed promptly and accurately.
• Responsible for reviewing all invoices and checks generated by accounting associates for accuracy and completeness in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Reviews profit and loss statements to ensure accuracy.
• Maintains balance sheet schedules for utilization in the correct reporting of monthly financials and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts.
• Responsible for communicating on a daily basis with property managers and third party owners to relay financial information as well as ensure understanding of various financial reports.
• Assists auditors in performing year-end audits of financial statements.
• Participates in Company-provided training.
• Complies with all Company National Standards, applicable health and safety rules and regulations, as well as applicable local, state, and federal laws.
• Performs other tasks as directed by any person authorized to give such instructions or assignments.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or other related field is preferred for this position.
• Minimum of one to three years experience in accounting and financial statement preparation.
• Ability to read, write and understand English.
• Ability to use a personal computer and working knowledge of email, Microsoft Word, Excel and accounting software systems.
• Ability to use general office equipment such as telephone, fax machine, printer and copier.
• Ability to perform advanced mathematical and accounting functions.
• Ability to follow and apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Ability to perform cash forecasting, planning and management.
• Ability to read and comprehend financial statements.
• Strong customer service and interpersonal skills; ability to relate to others.
• Professional verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to set and meet goals.
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Must maintain professional appearance and comply with prescribed dress code policy.
• Ability to be at work on a regular and consistent basis; overtime may be required.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Frequent use of fingers, handling, feeling, talking, and hearing.
• Moderate standing, reaching, walking, stooping, and lifting.
• Sustains substantially recurring movement to fingers, hands, and wrists.
• Ability to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to compare, compute, compile, copy, analyze, coordinate, synthesize, instruct, and communicate.
• Ability to tolerate stressful situations.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Standard office working environment.