Extendicare REIT, through its wholly owned subsidiaries, operates 235 long-term care facilities across North America, with capacity for over 26,800 residents. As well, through its operations in the United States, Extendicare offers medical specialty services such as subacute care and rehabilitative therapy services, while home health care services are provided in Canada. The Company employs 34,000 people in the United States and Canada.
Responsible for the planning, organization, direction, supervision and evaluation of all the nursing services provided in the facility. Ensures nursing department compliance with federal, state and local regulations and implementation of Extendicare nursing core programs. Ensures maintenance of records and reports concerning resident care. Ensures the orientation and training of nursing services personnel. Manages the Nursing Service department within budget. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
1. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Makes daily work assignments.
- *Directs the work of employees.
- Schedules lunch and rest breaks
- Authorizes early departure from work.
- Authorizes overtime.
- Reassigns employees from one area to another area as facility needs dictate.
- Prepares written evaluations of assigned employees.
- Enforces facility policies with authority to issue Disciplinary Action Reports as needed.
- Authority to suspend employees for rules violation.
- Initials time records to authorize variances.
- Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility.
- Receives and handles employee complaints.
- *Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff.
2. Plans, organizes, directs, supervises, and evaluates all nursing services provided in the facility to achieve desired clinical and financial outcomes.
3. Ensures that facility is in compliance with all regulatory requirements and Extendicare standards.
4. Ensures physicians make visits as required.
5. Ensures necessary equipment, supplies, and staffing are available for the delivery of the prescribed resident/patient care.
6. Completes rounds of the facility at least daily to ensure compliance with all policies, procedures and regulations.
7. Ensures each resident’s/patient’s RAI/IPOC process is carried out on a timely basis.
8. Is responsible for recruitment, training, supervision, scheduling, and personnel issues in the nursing department. Ensures the maintenance of licensure status for all nursing employees.
9. Manages the nursing department budget.
10. Works with regional personnel to continuously improve the quality of resident/patient care.
11. Coordinates Infection Control, Performance Improvement, and other concurrent review functions of the facility.
12. Represents the facility in various professional and community activities. Participates in marketing planning, activities, and evaluation.
13. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy. Ensures customer service standards for the nursing department.
14. Ensures nurses administer discipline fairly and according to the handbook.
15. Ensures nurses prepare the written evaluations as required.
16. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and act in accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance Program.
17. *Attends and participates in in-service training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed.
- Knows and follows facility rules.
- Follows facility dress and hygiene policies.
- *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
- Follows facility smoking policies.
- Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
- *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
- Uses required protective equipment.
- Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
19. Resident Rights
- Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
- Reports resident/patient complaints to management.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
- Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
- Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks. (Applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid.)
- Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee.
- *Participates in all-hands dining.
- *Performs other duties as directed by facility management.
- *Participates in marketing events.
- *Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the Employer. The Employer retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Keywords: Director of Nursing, DON, Director of Nursing Services, DNS, Unit Manager, nurse manager, nurse, registered nurse, RN, Healthcare, medical, medical care, geriatric, Geriatric Care, Skilled Nursing, Long Term Care, LTC, Skilled Nursing Facility, SNF, Consultant, Clinical Leadership, Clinical Services Consultant, Director of Clinical Services, Vice President Clinical Services, VP Clinical Services
Education: Current RN license with the state.
Experience: Prefer previous DON experience of at least three years.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: Must have good financial and management skills. Must be able to adapt to a flexible work schedule and occasional overnight travel. Ability to relate positively, effectively and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents and the elderly. Ability to read, write, speak and understand English. Meets all health requirements, as required by law. Proficient in Microsoft Office version 1997, 2000 or XP.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.